Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day One!

First, a little bit about how I became involved in Yoga. I have been athletic for most of my life. Prior to owning Noho Yoga I was a Lieutenant in the New York City Fire Department. As group of guys go, we were a fairly fit bunch. I liked running, swimming and cycling, with a little weight lifting thrown in.

Then in 1998, I met a woman who introduced me to Yoga. At first, Yoga was a way to improve my running and swimming. But over the years, I did more Yoga and less of the other stuff.

In January, 2002, while vacationing in Maui, I discovered the Bikram method of 26 postures and two breathing exercises practiced in a very hot room. The series was physically demanding and produced results.

I simply loved the series. As time went on, I did more and more Yoga eventually letting go of the other exercise forms I had done for so many years. The physical, mental and emotional results I was getting from my Yoga practice were just amazing.

In 2005 I became a Bikram Yoga instructor and bought my studio in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts.

Today is the first day of my sixty day challenge. Given we are at the begining, I'll talk a litte about the beginning of the series: pranayama breathing.

Pranayama is a breathing exercise where you inhale and exhale deeply. The purpose is to bring fresh oxygen into the deepest part of the lungs, expanding lung capacity. When teaching, it's fascinating to see how the student's skin color changes during pranayama breathing. They get pink.

Like all yoga postures, the first breathing exercise is dynamic. In addition to improving lung capacity you will work your shoulders and warm up your cervical (upper) spine. The snoring sound the students make, done properly, stimulates the vagus nerve. The nucleus of the vagus nerve is under the brain. The vagus nerve innervates many major organs and affects digestion.

My first class of my sixty day challenge took place in Norman O'Neil's studio in Nashua bikramyoganashua.com, New Hampshire . I practiced with Norman and two other teachers. Then we had lunch at a vegetarian restaurant where the veggie wrap was too small and overpriced. But the company was good.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Charlie- I'm looking forward to following your 60 in 60 at 60! Best wishes and happy b-day in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlie! I'm on day 42 of a 60, but will keep going until I get to 100 (because I'm crazy like that). Dancing J at keep it locking blog told us about your blog. Welcome to the Bikram blogosphere! I look forward to following your challenge.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you boudica! And Michelle, good work! Frequent, vigorous practice makes such a difference. A lot changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to hearing about a challenge from the perspective of a teacher and studio owner. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlie!
    We met last June when I was visiting NoHo from NYC and I took the first morning class on a Saturday. We talked about our common background: being from the city and the studio that I practice in was close to your firehouse and how the station would get phone calls multiple times a day because of smoke coming out of an art installation. Practicing in your studio that morning, I also happened to stand next to TheDancingJ, author of the blog "Lock the Knee!" who informed us that you are writing a blog on your 60in60by60 goal and encouraged us to come visit. Congrats and good luck!!! You are an inspiration.

    I will show your blog to my exercise-allergic mom who I managed to convince to try bikram at the tender age of 67 in order to heal her knee and calm her anxiety. So far she has liked it and I hope she continues.

    And because I'm posting this comment today, I also want to say that we will always remember that fateful day 8 years ago and give special thanks to all our heroes especially members of the FDNY and the NYPD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi JoJo, Tell Mom about Emmy. Emmy is Bikram's senior teacher. She's well into her eighties and amazing. She practices and advanced class three times a week.

    And, I just heard they closed the Virgin Record store where the artistic steam vent caused all our false alarms back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Norman the bird dude! I like him and his woman friend, I can't remember her name.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normans's girlfriend is Louise. The bird was Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charlie: Day nine for me at the studio (only one double!) I started on 9/11 as my inspiration and the challenge is changing my practice and me. Thanks Charlie - Jan Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jan, have fun in NYC. Tell me the studios you practice at there. And always mention me to the teacher. I know a lot of folks in the Big Apple.

    ReplyDelete