Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Context


There are several students from Bikram Yoga Nort
hampton participating in my challenge with me. Some are doing a 30 day challenge, a few have committed to the whole 60 days with me.

There are some rules. We allow doubles to count toward the result only twice in 30 days. In other words, if a participant missed a
day, they can do two classes in one day to make it up. Only two such doubles can count in a 30 day challenge, four in the 60 day. One has to take class on at least 28 days during the 30 with a total of at least 30 classes.

So I decided that I could take advantage of the double rule too.

Remember Yasmin, my friend from Washington DC?

I actually never made it to her class. We were ten minutes late for Yasmin's 4:00PM class. Rather than wait two hours for the next class and start driving hom
e at 9:00PM, I decided to get going, arrive home early the next day and take two classes at home.

I have not done a double since teacher training. Ho
wever, the two classes would be number 19 and 20. I have been feeling really good, so I did not think a double would be too difficult.

I have told students who do doubles that a good approach is to take it easy in the first class, kind of use it as a warm up. Then, go deep in the second class; you'll be ready.

"Take my advice, I'm not using it".

I was having a good class in the early class so I went all out. I do not know how to take it easy. When the teacher says: "push and push and push" that is almost always what I do. I am very suggestible.

Also, Jen and I had spent the entire weekend walking around the Nation's Capital, a lot of walking. And then spent about eight hours in the car. There were a lot of underused muscles making their recent stresses know to me. I had a little trepidation about the second class.

Just before the beginning of class, in breezes Carol. Carol is the woman I bought Bikram Yoga Northampton from a little over four years ago. Carol has been teaching in the Philippines for about a year now and is back home visiting.

Carol came in about one minute before class started and was rushing to get changed.

"I'll set up your mat" said I.

I was thinking I would put myself next to Carol for inspiration. Carol has a fabulous practice. When I put down the mat, I did not realize I had immersed myself in amongst some of the most dedicated students in my studio.

On my left was Carol, my former mentor, studio owner and the person who signed my teacher training recommendation.



To my right was Marina. Marina is amazing. She has been practicing at Northampton for over four years. Marina has overcome physical injuries that would have had most people staying at home watching Opra. Marina does doubles like they were easy and is participating in the full sixty day challenge with me.



Over my left shoulder was Bob. Like Marina, Bob has been practicing since before I owned the studio. Bob is steady. There is a strength and steadfastness to Bob's practice. And like most folks who practice Bikram Yoga, their practice reflects who they are in their lives. Bob exudes a quiet excellence and he is steady as a rock.


Over my right shoulder was Kendal. Kendal is a new student to Bikram Yoga Northampton. Kendal has been practicing Bikram Yoga only a short time. But she has already achieved a level of physical proficiency beyond what most achieve in years. More impressively, Kendal has already developed an acuity for some of the more subtle benefits of Yoga, a stillness and focus rare for someone so new to Yoga.

(Kendal's Pic coming soon)

In front of me was the mirror. Surrounded by such excellence, how could I do any less than 100% and still be happy looking into the eyes of my real teacher in the reflection of myself in the mirror?

5 comments:

  1. Yo, this just made me wanna hop on a plane and come intimidate, I mean practice with, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey... you never mentioned how the classes went? Was the 2nd class easier because of the energy (yours and theirs)? I always think of the first class as "cutting through the crap", physical and mental, and the 2nd class is when I can get to the GOOD STUFF, find new territory in my body and my mind. I am soooo much more focused and relaxed in the 2nd class. I am not a big fan (for myself) of 2 in a row. I like splitting it up, even if it's just a couple hours between. How did you do it?
    p.s. Keep rockin the mat, Charlie!
    xo,
    udL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Udl
    I did a noon class and the 5:30PM class. My first class was very strong. I should have held back a bit.

    My most notable sign of progress so far in this challenge is in standing bow. I have shifted my weight forward toward my toes a little and my balance has improved. I think what has happened is small muscles in my lower leg have improved making me balance a little better. Holding the first part of standing bow for the whole time is now available to me.

    So in my first class I went all out, especially in standing bow. That effected my endurance in the second class. The second class was pretty high energy, so I got through it, and I had fun. But it was a difficult class for me. I was hoping for an experience like you are describing. But when I am struggling, it's hard to relax and feel depth in the class. I just wanted to not have to sit down.

    But there is value in the struggle too.

    CH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey dancingJ, Jet Blue runs specials all the time. Bring a whip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOTALLY.

    But I am so busy now, you'll have to just imagine what I'd be saying. Like: KEEP YOUR ARMS UP!! Create pressure with your left foot sole against the right leg biceps of the thigh muscle!!

    ReplyDelete